Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Why Did I Choose My Class & Spec vs a DPS Class

Its always interesting to know and hear why people decide to play the classes they do and why some people are able to stick to the classes they play vs abandoning a recently created character in WoW. Lots of Blog posts around lately on DPS classes in WoW for various reasons on or the other. Blessing of Kings have a few on DPS class problems. WoWInsider has one today on "The draw of the DPS class" which links to a great write up over at Keen and Graev's Blog on "Why do players prefer DPS role". So I found all these interesting to say the least since my class and spec is not a DPS class but a Hybrid class and spec specialized for a specific role. Protection of my comrades. Few people choose a heal or tank role due to the burden of group responsibility for a more laid back approach to high sustained DPS. Interesting!

So just why did I choose to be a Paladin first of all and eventually choose a Protection Spec (Tankadin) Why not a DPS class which it seems the great majority of people in WoW plays vs Healing/Tank/Hybrid. Why were you not drawn to seeing big crits, big numbers, quick kills and fast grinding, super fast leveling Galo like everyone else? Well its various reasons and thoughts why or maybe its because I'm a older player that value service to friends or comrades.

Long ago way before I ever started playing WoW I was drawn to the role of a melee fighter able to serve or aid my comrades. I remember growing up watching lot of movies like "Conan the Barbarian" and movies like that, movies of wizardry and of heroes in far away realms. The role of a melee fighter or Knight often appealed to me so did the role or being able to protect or heal my friends on a quest through magic somehow. Protection & Service.

When a friend of mine in another MMO I was playing kept telling me to try out playing WoW I finally gave in and gave it a shot. I wasn't thinking of yeah let me start WoW so I can become a raider and raid dungeons, do DPS and see big numbers crit or fly everywhere or how fast I can fry that mob. Looking over the classes was kinda hard to decide. After my initial trial for WoW I started playing the game.

Though had no idea how to play the game finally registered to pay & play. It was after TBC release and gave more though to a class to play. Thought hey those Blood Elf's seem pretty cool and new. Do they have warriors? Nope. They have Paladins. Though cool, Paladin are like Knighted Warriors. like the idea of been a Paladin a protector that can heal and can melee, kick ass and heal what's not to like. Well at least that's the idea I got from the WoW class description. Over time my thoughts are Paladins are unique in the people that play then all the way to the level cap. You do it in some way maybe for service to your friends and comrades.

From WoW Paladin Page:
Guardians of the Holy Light, paladins bolster their allies with holy auras and blessing to protect their friends from harm and enhance their powers.Wearing heavy armor, they can withstand terrible blows in the thickest battles while healing their wounded allies and resurrecting the slain. In combat, they can wield massive two-handed weapons, stun their foes, destroy undead and demons, and judge their enemies with holy vengeance. Paladins are a defensive class designed to outlast their opponents.
The Paladin is a mix of a melee fighter and a secondary spell caster. The Paladin is ideal for groups due to the Paladin's healing, Blessings, and other abilities. Paladins can have one active aura per Paladin on each party member and use specific Blessings for specific players. Paladins are pretty hard to kill, thanks to their assortment of defensive abilities. The Paladin can also heal with Holy Light, unlike other combat classes. The Paladin is an Undead specific fighter as well, with several abilities designed to be used against the Undead.
The key word there that made me choose a Paladin: Melee Fighter, Defensive Class, Heavy Armor, Hard to Kill, what's not to like. Didn't say they have low DPS anywhere there. Sounded like a great fighter. You can protec and serve your comrades. That's why I choose a Paladin, never heard of DPS or even knew what it meant. My idea was a Paladin like that gave me the image of a "porcupine killer" who dared you to try to kill him or her. If I can outlast my enemy and survive in reasonable time, didn't matter how much DPS I did. But then again never heard of DPS and seem like Paladin can kill things ok. At level 10 choosing protection was a no brainer, I get to use a "Shield" and be that defensive melee fighter. So leveled Protection and only later found out what a DPS class was and that I was a low DPS class. Huh! As far as I know I like the damage I do but more offense would be nice. I can survive with good health, beat mobs with my shield and mob dies fairly quick enough. Its not 20 sec kill but its good enough.

At 70 as a Paladin all your spells get a big just in power, plus you get Avenging Wrath (Wings) for 30% more Holy damage, what a surprise there. Just add more spell damage power ftw. I can pretty much fight almost any mob and fairly quickly with good gear, and survive with good health depending on tactics. You can take on a group of mobs and have fun doing it and still survive using various tactics or strategy. No I didn't choose to be a DPS class to see numbers fly or kill things quick to level up. Leveling was fun! I choose my class so can solo well and survive. To play defensive offense, survive deadly blows, survive and protect my more delicate comrades, do a fair amount of damage in the process and drop a heal from time to time as needed. I can't say I regret rolling a Paladin vs a DPS class. Paladins are Fun to play and I don't think my combined DPS is that low either. In the end the protection of one comrades is a heavy responsibility to bear, I'll accept that. Some rather not shoulder that burden to be a DPS class and for other reasons. No regrets.

4 comments:

Leiandra said...

From that same WoW description of a paladin, my co-worker chose a paladin for a DPS class. That being his only high level toon and being that he doesn't group much, I'm not sure he really understands his low DPS. Bottom line: the description of classes from the WoW site really don't tell the full story of any class, but it's awesome to know that somebody's enjoying their class in a way other than what Blizzard seems to pigeonholed them to be. (i.e. Healadin)

megan said...

I remember why I rolled a Paladin---there were 2 PVP Paladins on the premade I joined when I was ranking up my Druid, and I was simply amazed at what they could do for the team in AB and WSG. Both were Protection spec btw, back when Repentance was the 31 point talent.

I had to have one!

Anonymous said...

I wanted something that could solo well and not spend all my time dead. Healing seemed like a really good idea. I didn't even know to ask about dps.

Do I regret it... not really. I like melee and didn't want a squishy caster. I -do- wish I'd started with a warlock.. but they felt a little too squishy for my first to-70 toon.

Nibuca
http://warcraft.fibergeek.com/

Keystone said...

My first character ever was a paladin that I leveled to 60 before starting another character. I loved my paladin, and still do, but I didn't like that the outcome of PvP relied heavily on my allies. I guess I just like being responsible for myself, and my own skill set. I ended up with a mage since they have a 50/50 chance against any class in PvP (except locks), and they have great escape abilities for when they decide not to fight.

It's a shame, cause old friends told me I made a *great* pally, and just a mediocre mage (I like to think it's the other way around, heh)

I'm glad you stuck with the paladin class, since they're such a benefit to any team!